There may be times when a senior in an elderly care facility is going through a period of adjustment or is maybe just having a rough day. Two simple concepts could be of great help in these cases; using color and light.
If you have ever gone to the closet in the morning and picked out an outfit based on your mood, you have experienced the benefit of colors! There are many uses for color which help influence emotions and psychology in people.
While it could be as simple as wearing a piece of clothing with a cheery color to change a mood, it might also be:
- Pictures and paintings with bright colors
- Adding jewelry with bright colored stones to the outfit
- Knickknacks that can be put around the room
- Foods with particular colors can also stimulate emotions
- Flowers and plants with respective colors can be soothing
So, what colors might be most useful for boosting mood? There are all sorts of shades like:
- Greens for grass and trees which bring feelings of calmness and relaxation
- Yellows which are cheery, bright, and uplifting – in moderation. Be careful not to use too deep of a yellow tone; keep it somber. This is the same with oranges as well
- Blues are popular because of the wide spectrum of colors of blue and the range of emotions blue brings; from sky to ocean and many others. Blue is about peacefulness and tranquility
- Pink is a light shade of red that also invokes tranquility. Red, itself, is a powerful color that can increase heart rate and blood pressure. Red is a great for being ambitious but not a great color for inducing calmness
- Gray is a neutral color; not the aggression of black or the somber of white
- Purples, especially in the lighter shades, inspire healing and happiness
So, what about light?
Well, natural sunlight offers a plethora of benefits. Opening the curtains in the room at the elderly care faculty and letting in natural light is a great way to improve mood. The best times to allow light into the room are in the morning and early evening hours.
If possible, the senior should get outside for a bit to actually absorb the benefits of natural light. While sunlight entering a room is helpful for bringing better moods and energy, natural sunlight has its benefits. For instance, it helps to create vitamin D, which assists with improving circulation and red blood cells as well as contributing to improving the immune system. And, with a good day of natural sunlight could come a restful night’s sleep!
If you have a loved one who could benefit from elderly care in Danville, CA, contact the caregivers at A Better Living Home Care Agency. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care. Call 925-566-2366 for more information.